The LAA meets for lunch on the second Tuesday of each month at 11:30 am in the NACA Room of the Langley Research Center Cafeteria, which is located on the first floor of Building 2102, at 10 West Taylor Street. The LAA General Meeting starts at noon featuring interesting and timely speakers. Following the LAA General Meeting, there is a brief meeting of the LAA Board of Directors.
LAA’s Annual Meeting is held in January for electing the Board of Directors for the new year. Board meetings are held monthly. Special meetings may be called by the President or any Board member. A picnic is held on the second Tuesday in July on the grounds adjacent to the NACA room in the Cafeteria. A winter luncheon is held on the second Tuesday of December at a local restaurant.
The following are the MInutes from the General and Board Meetings held in the recent month
MINUTES OF GENERAL BODY MEETING May 8, 2018
- Welcome – LAA President Roger Ferguson called the meeting to order at 12 noon. The meeting was attended by 52 members.Roger noted that both Damodar Ambur and Dick Davis were absent so that he would be introducing the guest speak (Michael Mason) and new member (Karen Jackson), and reading the obits. Roger reported that members’ recent badging experience indicates the process is working well. He then reminded the membership that the speaker for next month’s meeting (June 10th) will be Jeremy Pinier who will speak on the development of NASA’s Space Launch System and that the annual picnic will be held on July 10th.
- Presentation by the Guest Speaker – Michael Mason (of Mason and Associates) educated us on the opportunities available to both CSRS and FERS retirees under the new tax plan. In particular Michael emphasized that the new, relatively low, tax rates made conversion of conventional IRAs to Roth IRAs financially attractive. He urged members to consider purchasing Federal Long Term Care Insurance (FLTCIP) to protect their retirement annuity. He also mentioned that members over 70 ½ years of age that are required to take IRA distributions could package their charitable donations as Qualified Charitable Distributions. The QCD typically benefits those receiving Social Security and small pensions. Members are urged to do their homework or consult with a financial advisor before taking action.
- Next Meeting – Next General Membership Meeting will be held at 11:30 AM in the NACA Room of the LaRC Cafeteria on June 12, 2018.
- Adjournment – The May 8, 2018 General Membership meeting concluded around 1:00 PM.
Dan Palumbo, Secretary, June 14, 2018
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING – May 8, 2018
- Call to Order – The May 8, 2018 Board of Directors meeting was called to order by the LAA President, Roger Ferguson. A quorum was present. Minutes of the Meeting for April was approved by the Board with no changes.
- Attendance: Roger Ferguson, Dan Palumbo, R. Wayne Richie, Fred Jones, Rob Calloway, Ira Abbott, Fred Morrell, Duncan McIver, Dave Reubush, Dave Rudy, Charles Laney, Paresh Parikh and Marilyn Ogburn.
- Treasurer’s Report – The budget status was presented byLAA Treasurer Fred Morrell.The budget report for March was emailed to the membership before the meeting. The account balances are:
- Total LAA Balance: $4452.53
- Total Reunion Balance: $3301.54
- LFCU interest/dividends for the month of March 2018: $1.16
- Program Committee Report – Committee Chair Damodar Ambur was not present. Roger noted that speakers are confirmed for June, August and September.
- LAA picnic for the month of July 10thin lieu of the regular meeting –Rob Calloway and Damodar Ambur will work on accommodations, food menu, and other arrangements for the event. Tentative time for the picnic is from 4:30 to 7:30 pm.
- Hall of Honor Committee Report – Duncan McIver reported that the 2017 Hall of Honors inductees are listed in the Aerospace America’s May AIAA Bulletin section.
- LAA Archives– The archives of the LAA are reportedly kept on 2ndfloor of B2102, Room 220, cubicle 6.
- LAA Website – Duncan McIver, manager of the site mentioned that the minutes of the LAA meetings and the details of next month’s presentation will be posted on the site.
- LARC Lesson’s Learned Committee– Marilyn Ogburn notified the Board that as part of her research into methods for capturing knowledge of retiring employees, she may contact one or more LAA members.
- LAA Board Bylaws– Dan Palumbo mentioned that as far as he knew, the draft LAA Bylaws were never approved by the Board.Ira Abbott confirmed his suspicion. Dan will distribute the latest draft he obtained from Milt Holt so that members could review and comment before the Board takes the matter up next meeting.
- Adjournment – LAA President Roger Ferguson noted that the next LAA Board meeting would convene at 1:00 PM on June 12, 2018. The LAA Board meeting was adjourned around 2:00 PM.
Dan Palumbo, Secretary, June 14, 2018