The LAA meets for lunch on the second Tuesday of each month at 11:30 am in the NACA Room of the Langley Research Center Cafeteria, which is located on the first floor of Building 2102, at 10 West Taylor Street. The LAA General Meeting starts at noon featuring interesting and timely speakers. Following the LAA General Meeting, there is a brief meeting of the LAA Board of Directors.
LAA’s Annual Meeting is held in January for electing the Board of Directors for the new year. Board meetings are held monthly. Special meetings may be called by the President or any Board member. A picnic is held on the second Tuesday in July on the grounds adjacent to the NACA room in the Cafeteria. A winter luncheon is held on the second Tuesday of December at a local restaurant.
The following are the MInutes from the General and Board Meetings held in the recent month
MINUTES OF GENERAL BODY MEETING, April 10, 2018
- Welcome – LAA President Roger Ferguson called the meeting to order at 12 noon. The meeting was attended by 59 members. He invited Mr. Gary Price to talk about LaRC connections with two major events.First a book on Astronaut Neil Armstrong “First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong’ written by Dr. James Hansen, Professor of History at Auburn University, AL, where several pictures of Langley are included (It is sold on Amazon for $18.00) and the second in Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen funded Stratolaunch systems vehicle which is planned to be commercially launched by 2020. Rest of the meeting followed the agenda provided earlier.
- Membership Committee Report
- LAA Membership Committee Chair Dick Davis presented the names of 11 retirees who passed away in the past couple of months, who were on the list that he provided.This list is also posted on the LAA website.
- Dick Davis introduced Brian Luoto, Joan Luoto, Jane Gage, and Robert Gage as new LAA members and welcomed back Michael Manning, who hadn’t attended the LAA meeting in a while.
- Davis reiterated the badge renewal process: Apply at least 3 weeks before their badge expires by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the email provide your legal first and last names, a telephone or cell phone number and explicitly state that you are requesting to renew your badge for 6 months. If you have difficulty renewing, please contact the LAA liaison Melanie Robinson Holman, 757-864-2660.
- Bobby Berrier reminded us about the Langley Air Force Base Airshow during May 18-20, 2018 weekend.
- Program Committee Report and Presentation by the Guest Speaker – LAA Vice President and Program Committee Chair Damodar Ambur announced the upcoming programs for May, June and July 2018. The May 8thtalk will be by Mr. Michael Mason from Mason & Associates, who will discuss topics including Federal Healthcare Benefits, Social Security Planning, Long-term Care, and Alternate Investment Options for TSP funds. June 12thtalk will be by Dr. Jeremy Pinier of LaRC, who will present the NASA Space Launch System Development. The LAA Board is currently planning a picnic on July 10ththe details will be presented in the next meeting. Damodar Ambur then introduced the speaker of today’s meeting, Mr. David Richwine.
- Presentation by the Guest Speaker: David Richwine is currently the Deputy Project Manager for Technology on the Low-Boom Flight Demonstration Project at NASA Langley Research Center.He has over 30 years of flight research and testing experience on various supersonic aircraft used to demonstrate advanced technologies working with our aerospace industry. His talk was on “Low-Boom Supersonic Flight Demonstration.”
Summary of the presentation: This informative presentation reviewed the history of supersonic flight and sonic boom research in the U.S. and provided and overview of recent Quiet Supersonic Technology (QueSST) aircraft preliminary design accomplishments and the Low-Boom Flight Project plan for the next few years culminating in flight demonstrations in 2021. Following the talk, Mr. David Richwine was recognized with a memento by Roger Ferguson.
- Next Meeting – Next General Membership Meeting will be held at 11:30 AM in the NACA Room of the LaRC Cafeteria on May 8, 2018.
- Adjournment – The April 10, 2018 General Membership meeting concluded around 1:00 PM.
Damodar Ambur forDan Palumbo, Secretary, May 6, 2018
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING, April 10, 2018
- Call to Order – The April 10, 2018 Board of Directors meeting was called to order by the LAA President, Roger Ferguson. A quorum was present. Minutes of the Meeting for March was approved by the Board with no changes.
- Treasurer’s Report – The budget statues was presented byLAA Treasurer Fred Morrell.The budget report for March was emailed to the membership before the meeting. The account balances are:
- Total LAA Balance: $4387.43
- Total Reunion Balance: $3301.13
- LFCU interest/dividends for the month of March 2018: $0.92
Board members had a significant discussion on membership dues and the following decisions were made. 1) The dues ($5 per year) for 2018 will be collected from members that did not have the opportunity to pay before December 2018. 2) The Board will review finances of the LAA after collecting the dues in 2018 and reassess the need to increase the annual dues to $10. The current $5 annual rate was setup in 1988. 3) All members are required to pay their 2019 annual dues in January 2019. 4) Those who have already paid beyond year 2019 will pay during January of their renewal year.
- Program Committee Report – LAA VA and Committee Chair Damodar Ambur shared a list of talks for 2018 and potential speakers for 2019. Speakers for June, August and September 2018 are confirmed with July set aside for the LAA picnic. The speakers for October and November will be finalized in a month.
- LAA picnic for the month of July 10thin lieu of the regular meeting – The Board decided to hold a picnic in the patio area outside the Langley Cafeteria.Rob Calloway and Damodar Ambur will work on accommodations, food menu, and other arrangements for the event. Tentative time for the picnic is from 4:30 to 7:30 pm.
- Hall of Honor Committee Report – The Committee ChairDuncan McIver reported he along with Dick Davis, Roger Ferguson, and Ira Abbott located the LAA records on the 2ndfloor of B2102. We thank Melanie Holman for finding us the new location.
- LAA Website – Duncan McIver, Manager of the site mentioned that the minutes of the LAA meetings and the details of next month’s presentation will be posted on the site.
- Adjournment – LAA President Roger Ferguson noted that the next LAA Board meeting would convene at 1:00 PM on May 8, 2018. The LAA Board meeting was adjourned around 1:50 PM.
Damodar Ambur forDan Palumbo, Secretary, May 6, 2018