The LAA meets for lunch on the second Tuesday of each month at 11:30 am in the NACA Room of the Langley Research Center Cafeteria, which is located on the first floor of Building 2102, at 10 West Taylor Street. The LAA General Meeting starts at noon featuring interesting and timely speakers. Following the LAA General Meeting, there is a brief meeting of the LAA Board of Directors.
LAA’s Annual Meeting is held in January for electing the Board of Directors for the new year. Board meetings are held monthly. Special meetings may be called by the President or any Board member. A picnic is held on the second Tuesday in July on the grounds adjacent to the NACA room in the Cafeteria. A winter luncheon is held on the second Tuesday of December at a local restaurant.
The following are the Minutes from the General and Board Meetings held in the recent month. These Minutes were approved at the Board meeting on October 9, 2018.
THE LANGLEY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
MINUTES OF GENERAL BODY MEETING
September 11, 2018
- LAA President Roger Ferguson was not present. Vice president Damodar Ambur called the meeting to order at 12 noon. The meeting was attended by about 32 members.
- Membership report: Dick Davis
- New Members. We had 11 new members join. Cecil G. (Gary) Burkett, Jr., Christine R. Williams, David H. Jones, Elvin Ahl, Jr., James A. Osborn, Kenneth Proctor, Kim F. Schroeder, Laurie A. Avery, Patricia Hurst, Richard Hueschen and Susan Price.
- A hard-copy of the obits is available, just ask Dick, 757-595-7474.
- FYI, badge renewal can be initiated through procedure described on the LAA website home page, https://www.larcalumni.org/.
- Dick circulated an email reminding us that Langley conducts monthly public tours and is seeking LAA member volunteers to act as tour guides. Contact Melanie Robinson at 757-864-2660.
- Program committee report. Damodar informed the membership that next month’s speaker will be Mr. Edward McLarney, Associate CIO for Technology & Innovation, Office of the CIO, LaRC. Ed’s talk is entitled, “Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Capability Development for LaRC Transformation”.
- Presentation by the Guest Speaker. Damodar introduced Dr. Russ Thomas who is a member of the Aeroacoustics Branch here at LaRC. Russ’ talk was entitled, “Progress at NASA Toward Future Low Noise Subsonic Transport Aircraft”. Russ introduced us to the noise reduction goals towards which NASA is working. The goals, if reached, ultimately achieve 25 dB noise reduction with respect to today’s quietest aircraft. Russ focused on three vehicle concepts that are predicted to meet the stated goals, the Hybrid Wing-Body (HWB), the Mid-Fuselage Nacelle (MFN), and the Subsonic X-plane. The talk was well received.
- Next Meeting. The Next General Membership Meeting will be held at 11:30 AM in the NACA Room of the LaRC Cafeteria on Oct. 9th, 2018.
- The September 11, 2018 General Membership meeting concluded around 1:00 PM.
THE LANGLEY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
September 11, 2018
- Call to Order. The August 14, 2018 Board of Directors meeting was called to order at 1:07 by the LAA Vice President, Damodar Ambur. A quorum was NOT present (11/13). Minutes of the Meeting for August were approved by the Board with no changes.
- Attendance. Dave Rudy, Ira Abbott, Marilyn Ogburn, Ed Fasanella, Bo Walkley, Duncan McIver, Dick Davis, Damodar Ambur, Fred Jones, Dan Palumbo, and Clay Rogers.
- Treasurer’s Report. The budget report was distributed by Dick Davis. Major expenditure was to cover picnic expenses ($840). Receipts collected for the picnic ($754) were deposited last month. The account balances are:
- Total LAA Balance: $4340.99
- Total Reunion Balance: $3301.93
- LFCU interest/dividends for the month of May 2018: $1.83
- Program Committee Report. Damodar informed us that Dr. Leroy Gross, the Langley Medical Director, has agreed to speak on aging well sometime next early next year.
- LAA Bylaws. The board members in attendance voted unanimously to approve the draft ByLaws with the paragraph on dues as follows:
Annual dues for the coming year shall be set by the Board in the 4thquarter of the current year and are due January 1st. The dues are payable any time during the first quarter. For new members, dues for the year they join are waived. The dues shall be kept in a fund administered by the Treasurer and are to be used to facilitate the mission of the LAA, that is, to nurture the relationship between Alumni and the Langley Research Center. Examples of such expenditures are LAA website expenses, speaker honoraria and Hall of Honor plaques. Expenditures outside this scope, for example to a charity, may be considered as well. All expenditures shall be approved by the board.
The membership also voted to approve $5.00 dues for 2019 that can be paid as part of the Winter Luncheon or at a General Meeting by the 1stquarter of next year. However, as noted above, a quorum was not present, so these votes will have to be brought again up at October’s meeting.
- LAA Website – Duncan McIver, manager of the site, will post the approved ByLaws on the website. Duncan stated he was open to ways to further improve the website.
- LARC Lesson’s Learned Committee. Marilyn Ogburn presented information on 4 documents she has found relating to knowledge capture of retiring individuals.
- Membership Committee Report. Dick Davis distributed a handout summarizing what he considers as the current roles of the membership committee.
- Maintain Member Database
- Register New Members
- New Member Recruitment
- Records Archival
Damodar brought up that the point that Dick needs help performing these functions and suggested that Communications might be a role for the Secretary. Dan agreed to work with Dick to take over this responsibility.
- Adjournment – LAA Vice President Damodar Ambur noted that the next LAA Board meeting would convene at 1:00 PM on Oct. 9th, 2018. The LAA Board meeting was adjourned at 2:00 PM.