The LAA meets for lunch on the second Tuesday of each month at 11:30 am in the NACA Room of the Langley Research Center Cafeteria, which is located on the first floor of Building 2102, at 10 West Taylor Street. The LAA General Meeting starts at noon featuring interesting and timely speakers. Following the LAA General Meeting, there is a brief meeting of the LAA Board of Directors.
LAA’s Annual Meeting is held in January for electing the Board of Directors for the new year. Board meetings are held monthly. Special meetings may be called by the President or any Board member. A picnic is held on the second Tuesday in July on the grounds adjacent to the NACA room in the Cafeteria. A winter luncheon is held on the second Tuesday of December at a local restaurant.
The following are the MInutes from the General and Board Meetings held in the recent month
MINUTES OF GENERAL BODY MEETING
June 12, 2018
- Welcome. LAA President Roger Ferguson called the meeting to order at 12 noon. The meeting was attended by 55 members. Roger noted that Dick Davis was on vacation so that he would be introducing news members and reading the obits.
- New Members. Roger introduced new members Jose Rivera, Lucille Crittenden, Sharon Harper and Sandra Ray. Welcome to the LAA.
- LAA Dues. Roger mentioned that in an effort to simplify the payment of member dues, that the due date for 2018 dues would be moved to January 2019, instead of your respective join months.
- LAA Picnic. Rob Calloway briefed us on the upcoming picnic. The picnic will start at 4:30 PM on July 12th and be held on the Cafeteria deck. Rob urged folks planning to attend to sign up early so that those not having a badge can be put on an entry list. Rob also reminded us that only US citizens would be able to get on the base. An announcement was distributed to the membership. Complete details are available on the LAA website.
- Upcoming Presentations. Damodar has booked Dr. Juan Cruz for the Aug. 14th meeting. Dr. Cruz will speak on a proposed mission to Saturn’s moon, Titan.
- Presentation by the Guest Speaker. Damodar Introduced Dr. Jeremy Pinier who presented a briefing on NASA’s heavy launch rocket the Space Launch System (SLS). The presentation was very informative especially in explaining why such powerful vehicles are necessary for interplanetary missions. A lot of discussion centered around comparisons to the SpaceX and Blue Origin heavy launch alternatives.
- Next Meeting. There will be no July meeting due to the picnic. The Next General Membership Meeting will be held at 11:30 AM in the NACA Room of the LaRC Cafeteria on Aug. 14th, 2018.
- Adjournment. The June 12, 2018 General Membership meeting concluded around 1:00 PM.
THE LANGLEY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
June 12, 2018
- Call to Order. The June 12, 2018 Board of Directors meeting was called to order at 1:12 by the LAA President, Roger Ferguson. A quorum was present. Minutes of the Meeting for May were approved by the Board with no changes.
- Attendance. Roger Ferguson, Damodar Ambur, Dan Palumbo, Fred Morrell, R. Wayne Richie, Fred Jones, Rob Calloway, Duncan McIver, Dave Reubush, Charles Laney, Bo Walkley, Carrie Creedon, Milt Holt and Marilyn Ogburn.
- Treasurer’s Report. The budget status was presented by LAA Treasurer Fred Morrell. The account balances are:
- Total LAA Balance: $4452.63
- Total Reunion Balance: $3301.40
- LFCU interest/dividends for the month of May 2018: $1.32
- Program Committee Report. Damodar informed us that speakers have been confirmed through March 2019. Tentative speakers are in place through Nov. 12.
- LAA picnic for the month of July 10th in lieu of the regular meeting – Rob Calloway reported that all planning has been completed for the picnic.
- LAA Bylaws. Milt Holt provided historical background on the evolution of the current Draft of the Bylaws through 2017. We were informed that the draft Bylaws must be presented to the General Membership at least 2 weeks before the Board votes approval so that the membership has time to comment. It was agreed that the Bylaws document will be posted on the LAA website and the membership informed by email that it is available for their review. The membership will then be given an opportunity to comment during the Aug 14th General Membership meeting before the Board votes approval.
- Hall of Honor Committee Report – Duncan McIver reported that the 2017 Hall of Honors inductees are listed in the Aerospace America’s May AIAA Bulletin section.
- LAA Archives. Roger reports that the Archives are likely incomplete and contain possibly unrelated and redundant information. Work is ongoing to augment the records and also glean a historical perspective of the LAA.
- LAA Website – Duncan McIver, manager of the site, will post the current draft of the Bylaws and the May minutes on the Website.
- LARC Lesson’s Learned Committee – Marilyn Ogburn notified the Board that as part of her research into methods for capturing knowledge of retiring employees, she may contact one or more LAA members and seek more involvement of the LAA.
- LAA liaison to the AIAA. Damodar volunteered and was approved by voice vote to be liaison to the AIAA.
- Adjournment – LAA President Roger Ferguson noted that the next LAA Board meeting would convene at 1:00 PM on Aug. 14th, 2018. The LAA Board meeting was adjourned around 1:55 PM.