The LAA meets for lunch on the second Tuesday of each month at 11:30 am in the NACA Room of the Langley Research Center Cafeteria, which is located on the first floor of Building 2102, at 10 West Taylor Street. The LAA General Meeting starts at noon featuring interesting and timely speakers. Following the LAA General Meeting, there is a brief meeting of the LAA Board of Directors.
LAA’s Annual Meeting is held in January for electing the Board of Directors for the new year. Board meetings are held monthly. Special meetings may be called by the President or any Board member. A picnic is held on the second Tuesday in July on the grounds adjacent to the NACA room in the Cafeteria. A winter luncheon is held on the second Tuesday of December at a local restaurant.
The following are the Minutes from the General and Board Meetings held in the recent month. These Minutes were approved at the Board meeting on October 9, 2018.
THE LANGLEY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
MINUTES OF GENERAL BODY MEETING
October 9, 2018
- LAA President Roger Ferguson called the meeting to order at 12 noon. The meeting was attended by about 48 members.
- Membership report:Dick Davis
- We had 2 new members join. Marylyn Ogburn and Darlene Baxter
- The Eleven known Obits since our previous meeting are as follows:
- Marian Astor Althaus: 10.6.18 at age 92
- Helen Hanks Barber:16.18.at age 95
- Richard John Cologgi: 9.19/18 at age 81 (LAA Member)
- Cathy Lee Jenkins:15.18.at Age 52. (Thom Pirelli’s wife)
- Nan Carolyn Hanson Jones:10.1.18 at age 91
- John E. (Johnny) Jordan: 9.9.18 at age 86
- Robert D. Powell: 8.8.18 at age 95
- Richard A. (Dick) Pride 9.29.8 at age 95
- Cheryl Jackson Tyler 9.15.18at age 53
- George Marshall Wood 9/9.18, age unknown
- Dr. Steven F. Yaros 9.27.18 at age 76 (LAA Member and member of Mensa)
- Harold G. Bush 10.06.18 at age 81
- FYI, badge renewal can be initiated through procedure described on the LAA website home page, https://www.larcalumni.org/.
- Dick circulated an email reminding us that Langley conducts monthly public tours and is seeking LAA member volunteers to act as tour guides. Contact Melanie Robinson at 757-864-2660.
- Program committee report.
- Damodar informed the membership that next month’s speaker will be Mr. Howie Lewis, LaRC Flight Research Operations Directorate (Retired), and his topic is “Evolution of Flight Operations at NASA Langley During 2003-2008”.
- Our Christmas Luncheon (Aka Fall Luncheon or Winter Luncheon) will be held at Angelo’s Steak and Pancake House on December 11, 1018 from 11:30AM to 1:30 PM. Angelo’s is located at 755 J. Clyde Morris Blvd. Route 17) in Newport News. (This is the same location as for last year’s luncheon). To sign up for the luncheon, have people contact Dick Davis at 757-595-7474, or at email@example.com. Twenty-two signed up for the luncheon at the meeting.
- The Center Director’s Reception is on Wednesday Dec. 4 in HJER Rooms 1,2, and 3. Time is 2-4 PM.
- Presentation by the Guest Speaker. Damodar introduced Edward McLarney, Associate CIO for Technology and Innovation, Office of the Chief Information Office here at LaRC. McLarney introduced Jeremy Yagle, Assistant Branch Head, Information Management Branch, who assisted him in the presentation. McLarney’s talk was titled “Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Capability Development for LaRC Transformation. NASA needs an integrated digital tools and technologies capability to enable transformational changes in conducting relevant and innovative research, systems analysis, and design. He discussed Langley’s approach to applying big data, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and natural language processing, a core capability towards this goal. The talk was well received and President Ferguson presented the speaker with a NASA cup in appreciation.
- Next Meeting. The Next General Membership Meeting will be held at 11:30 AM in the NACA Room of the LaRC Cafeteria on November 13, 2018.
- The October 9, 2018 General Membership meeting concluded around 1:00 PM.
THE LANGLEY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
October 9, 2018
- Call to Order. The October 9, 2018 Board of Directors meeting was called to order at 1:07 by the LAA President, Roger Ferguson. A quorum was present (11/13). Minutes of the Meeting for September were approved by the Board with a change in the Program Committee Report, which should now read “Damodar informed us that that he has requested Melanie Robinson to request Dr. Leroy Gross, the Langley Medical Director, to speak on “Aging Well” sometime early next year. The approved minutes will be posted in the “Meeting and Minutes” section of the LAA Website.
- Attendance. Robert Calloway, John Korte, Charles Laney, Fred Morrell, Wayne Richie, Bo Walkley, Damodar Ambur, Edwin Fasanella, Paresh Parikh, Marilynn Ogburn, Carrie Walker Creedon, David Reubush, Fred Jones, George Allison, Dick Davis, Duncan McIver, and Roger Ferguson
- Treasurer’s Report. The budget report was distributed by Dick Davis and reported by Fred Morrell. The account balances are:
- Total LAA Balance: $4340.99
- Total Reunion Balance: $3301.93
- LFCU interest/dividends for the month of September 2018: $2.25
Morell discussed the payment of dues for next year. He stated that the dues can be received in advance of January, at the Christmas Luncheon.
- Program Committee Report.Damodar informed the membership that next month’s speaker will be Mr. Howie Lewis, LaRC Flight Research Operations Directorate (Retired), and his topic is “Evolution of Flight Operations at NASA Langley During 2003-2008”.
- Christmas Luncheon. Roger described that the program for December will be the Annual Christmas Luncheon, which will be held at the same restaurant we met last year, Angelo’s Steak and Pancake in Newport News on December 11 from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm. He has visited the restaurant to discuss arrangements. If our attendance is under 30 then we can order from the menu. If the attendance is over 30 then we must order from a fixed dinner menu with 3 options. A copy of the menu is attached. The cost is with taxes and gratuity is $24.02, so we will charge $25.00 a person. Ferguson will return to the restaurant and sign an agreement for the LAA.
- LAA Bylaws. The board members in attendance voted unanimously to approve the draft Bylaws with the paragraph on dues as follows:
Annual dues for the coming year shall be set by the Board in the 4thquarter of the current year and are due January 1st. The dues are payable any time during the first quarter. For new members, dues for the year they join are waived. The dues shall be kept in a fund administered by the Treasurer and are to be used to facilitate the mission of the LAA, that is, to nurture the relationship between Alumni and the Langley Research Center. Examples of such expenditures are LAA website expenses, speaker honoraria and Hall of Honor plaques. Expenditures outside this scope, for example to a charity, may be considered as well. All expenditures shall be approved by the board.
The membership also voted to approve $5.00 dues for 2019 that can be paid as part of the Winter Luncheon or at a General Meeting by the 1stquarter of next year. A quorum was present, so these votes were legitimate. The Board Approved Bylaws are posted on the website and will be voted on by the membership at the Annual Meeting in January 2019.
- LAA Website – Duncan McIver, manager of the site reported he would post the approved Bylaws on the website.Duncan will be working with Wayne Richie, the other member of the LAA website team, to train him in editing the website.
- LARC Lesson’s Learned Committee.The Board agreed for a sub-committee of Marilyn Ogburn, Rob Calloway, and Dan Palumbo to proceed working and bring recommendations to the board in a future meeting.
- Membership Committee Report. Dick Davis stated that the report he gave for the General Meeting was appropriate for the Board Meeting
Damodar again reminded Board members that Dick needs help performing all the functions he has. During last month meeting Damodar suggested Dick to shift LAA communications responsibility to the Secretary and to have a sub-committee to work on membership development.
- Nominating Committee Report. Dan Palumbo submitted an updated report on Nominees for the LAA Board Class of 2019. The following is the list:
- Linda Bangert, retired in 2018 joined in 2018
- Pete Jacobs, retired in 2014 joined 2016
- Anthony Pototzky, retired 2017 joined 2017 (unconfirmed)
- Bill Tennis, retired 1995 joined 2011
- Sharon Stack, retired 2008 joined 2011
- Charles Cockrell, retired 1999 joined 2015
- Ray Whipple, retired 2007 joined 2010=
- Adjournment – LAA President Roger Ferguson noted that the next LAA Board meeting would convene at 1:00 PM on November 13, 2018. The LAA Board meeting was adjourned at 2:00 PM.